Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 October 2013

How to Use the Novel Study Guides

Suggestions for Using a Novel Study Guide in the Classroom

There are many ways a teacher can use one of my Novel Study Guides for all grades in a mixed ability classroom. I have used these guides myself and I would like to describe how I used them with the students.

The comprehension questions are designed to test how well the students understand what they read in each chapter. It will bore the students to no end and give them a dislike of reading if you expect them to write out the answers to every single question. I used these mainly as conferencing questions when I had students read to me. For the students of lower ability or those who need help with writing or answering questions, I would choose groups of questions for them to answer as written exercises.

When using the creative writing , integrated studies and research activities, I gave students a choice in what activities they had to complete. I did require them to complete at least three of each category and supplied them with the tracking sheet included so they could check off which ones they did. This tracking sheet had to be part of their portfolio.

To reduce the possibility of students always choosing activities that included artwork only, I required then to have at least two writing pieces in their portfolio package when they turned it in to me for grading.

Peer editing was always part of my classroom, even at the Grade 2 level. However, you do have to teach mini- lessons and demonstrate how the students can do this on their own.

I did use all the grammar and word study activities, but I used them for mini-lessons. I also supplemented the activities to provide any students who were having difficulty with extra practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment